Thursday, July 31, 2014

Oak - Oak (2014)


"Wow."

That was the first thing I said when I heard this Swedish band's self-titled debut LP, and I'm still saying it.

Artwork: The beautiful wash of color belies the fury beneath. Oak exercises great restraint in covering their album this way, because any number of darker or more evocative images could have been justifiably used instead. It is beautiful, and simple, and hints at the ideas presented within - beautifully poetic lyrics, songs that were clearly labored over at great length, energetic but technically precise performances given, all of which might be lumped in with a host of other "hardcore" album covers. If I saw this in a bookstore, I would think it was either a hip indie band or a New Age compilation.

Structure: The songs are broken into groups, which are labeled as Chapters. Chapter III is available on cassette, but unfortunately, Oak does not ship to the US. The old sedan that I drive only has a cassette player, so trust me. I tried.

Sound: Loma Prieta's I.V. meets Norma Jean's Bless The Martyr & Kiss The Child. "Chaotic" is a somewhat effective label for this album's sound, but it also might lead a potential listener to lump Oak in with other "chaotic" bands before listening, which would be a shame, because Oak's sound is a unique blend of screamo, early and modern hardcore, and early 2000's metalcore.  They tease the listener with a semblance of straight-forwardness just before launching into odd-metered riffage at 100 mph, just to cut to a solo guitar, and in and out of a hundred different dynamic changes before the record is over. The whole thing is interesting to listen to, and truly interesting, not like a strange disgusting animal. Oak is a strange but beautiful animal, who can surprise and awe like Full of Hell but brings a poetry to the table that I would identify with bands like Loma Prieta and Converge.

For Fans Of: Full of Hell, Idylls, old Norma Jean, The Chariot

Favorite Lyrics: I avoid myself
As no company hurts worse


Favorite Track: Chapter II: Haze
  1. Prolouge: Modest Hopes
  2. Chapter I: Torn Down/Tearing Down
  3. Chapter I: Dust
  4. Chapter I: Roots
  5. Chapter II: Ash
  6. Chapter II: Haze
  7. Chapter II: Galanty Shows
  8. Chapter III: The World
  9. Chapter III: Each Other
  10. Chapter III: Ourselves
Rating: 4.5 / 5 

Merch: BigCartel
Listen: bandcamp
Follow: facebook
-Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it decent.