Friday, February 28, 2014

Sector 7G's Last Show - 2/22/2014

Photo Credit: Evan Grantski

On February 22nd, 2014, the music venue that I have both played at and gone to for the past nine years had its last show. It was a bittersweet afternoon that became an impassioned night, because everyone knew that when Veara got offstage, Sector would close its doors for good.

There were over 100 people there, maybe 200, and I'm sure every one had a story of their first time at Sector and how much the old laundromat-turned-punk-venue meant to them. I went to my first show at Sector in December of 2005 and throughout my high school career I went to every show I could to see every band I could. I went with friends, I went alone, I played shows to 10 people (almost all members of other bands playing), I played shows to 150 people. I went when I was 15, I went when I was 23, and I went during all ages in between. I went to Sector over and over for so many different reasons and also, always for the same reason, over the years, that it came to be a significant place for me, as I'm sure it did for countless other people. Where else could I cite having seen Whitechapel before they blew up, or Despised Icon all the way from Canada, or Architects from the UK before they blew up, or played a show with Born of Osiris (oh, wait . . . they cancelled both times I was supposed to play with them), or play a show with The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza which the guitar player would remember me for 4 years later when I would meet him on a bike in another state outside a Domino's drive-thru? Sector facilitated a novel's worth of lifelong memories for me, and its closure is all the more saddening because it doesn't look like there is another laundromat waiting to take its place. Sector is over - as a place, and as a time in my life.

I'm going to do my best to gather up all of the photos I can find and get permission to use, and put them here, so that anyone wanting to relive last Saturday night can do so in one place. If you have photos, please send them to roughpatchreviews@gmail.com . You will get photo credit. I will update this after today as often as I find pictures.

One more thing - Evan Grantski took some incredible pictures that night and has his own website, so check that out first.

BANDS:

Panic Manor
A Brighter Life
xAcutex
Ironwill/Virulence
Lastcall
Roselyn
H803
xMeet My Crewx
11 Spirits
Mudbrute/Honkey Biscuit/Spirit Bomb
88MPH
Veara

PHOTOS:

Matthew McCarty-




Austin Skeens-


Fred Swindell-




No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it decent.