Saturday, November 7, 2015

Cool Hand Luke - The Fires of Life (2002)


When I was 14, a dear and now lifelong friend showed me this record. We were into lots of heavy artists and didn't take much time to explore alternate genres, but this one... this one.

Artwork: The Fires of Life presents itself as nothing more than what it is, finding its meaning in what it lacks. There is a beautiful image presented here, but nothing about it suggests that Cool Hand Luke takes itself too seriously. It simply is what it is, and it is beautiful.

Structure: The Fires of Life is a storybook, 11 stories long, worth listening to from beginning to end.

Sound: Blending 90's alternative with indie and emo presentation, all with a finesse that sings of lifelong dedication to each musician's craft.

Lyrics: Cool Hand Luke will sing to your soul. Each song wrestles with an imagined scenario that plays out as a metaphor for daily life. "Cinematic" is a tale of gratitude for one's friends, as they are the real heroes in your life (sidenote: I played in a band called HERO in college, named after the chorus of this song) and "Rats In The Cellar" is about sin and darkness in your life being like rats in a cellar that you don't want anyone to see. The highlight of the whole record is "Friendly Jas" - a 6 minute epic detailing a long friendship that has fallen apart. The song hits me like a ton of concrete every time because, on a personal note, it accurately chronicles my relationship with the person who showed me this band. It is about someone rejecting you and leaving your life but you still caring for them and being willing to accept them at any time. "Everything has changed / but my hope remains the same / and I want you to know that I'll be here / through a hundred years of rain."

For Fans Of: Third Eye Blind, Matchbox Twenty, Fuel

Favorite Lyrics: "I want to live in such a way
that when I'm gone, my friends will say
that if my life was turned to film
I'd be standing on a mountain shouting victory in the end"

Favorite Track: Friendly Jas
  1. Sky Dive
  2. The Foster
  3. Rats in the Cellar
  4. Cinematic
  5. I'm Not Ready
  6. Sequence #3
  7. Friendly Jas
  8. I'm Not Running
  9. Zombie Song
  10. Rest for the Weary
  11. The Fires of Life
Rating: 10 / 10 

Purchase: Storenvy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it decent.