Friday, May 30, 2014

Satin Sulfur #1 - Waking Limb


This month, I am going to be concentrating on a series of mixed media pieces which I began in April called Satin Sulfur (Burning In The Bed You've Made) that has taken up a great deal of my time and energy. The process of creating these pieces is long and tedious but the details of that are ultimately irrelevant - I want to talk about what the pieces mean.

The series/cycle is meant to catalog the emotional cycles of personal relationships, and Waking Limb consists of the first meeting of two people, and the way people remember each other's faces.

Red around the edges was meant to serve a duplicitous purpose: to enhance a feeling of love for the person, or to give an aura of cold indifference or pain, and ultimately to bring out the vulnerability of love, that trusting another person involves being vulnerable to their actions and motives. The path from my desired outcome and the actual outcome was much different and much more complicated than expected, but the outcome itself was satisfactory, as was the second piece, which I will talk about next.
-Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it decent.